Having low moments and experiencing negative feelings is not uncommon. But it’s the expression of those thoughts that will always help. This is what the University of Notre Dame aims to do this week.
From Monday (2/5/16) to Friday (6/5/16), the university is holding Art Week to raise awareness of student mental well-being through creativity. Notre Dame students will showcase their talents in acts that they have worked to bring to you. They range from performance arts to stand-up comedy. During this colourful week you will also get a chance to:
- Chat to counselors to learn more about mental health and other issues
- Eat at the BBQ which will be running every day (all proceeds go to charities who are also involved in promoting mental health)
- Watch student-produced films at Notre Dame’s cinema screening
- Wander Artist’s Alley and examine student artworks, talk to the artists themselves and create your own masterpiece
- Participate in short workshops that will introduce you to the basic concepts of art and other fields of creativity
- Get up close and personal with Notre Dame’s animal farm on Thursday (5/5/16)
- See what more the university has to offer by saying hello to other clubs and societies at various tents
Each day will begin at 11:30 am and end at 2:00 pm (daily Mass will occur from 12:30 pm to 1:00 pm). This is a great event if you are interested in different forms of creativity, want to perform and support others performing or just want to have an enjoyable time (or everything above!)
Every year most universities dedicate a week to bring together their students. What unites us is our passion, inspirations and hard work. So come down if you’re free and join the University of Notre Dame students in raising awareness of mental health concerns. See you there and have a great week!