This year, 30/4 and 1/5 happens on this weekend so people in Vietnam has 4 days off until the next Wednesday. Over a week before April 30th, visitors to Hanoi, Hue, Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City will see eye-catchily brightened with Vietnamese flags, red with a yellow star, banners and neon lights. Likewise, festival zones are decorated to be spots for a parade or the stage for a national live show.
Vietnamese Liberation Day (Ngày Giải phóng or Ngày Giải phóng miền Nam) is also called Reunification Day (Ngày Thống nhất) which is a public holiday in Vietnam that marks the end of the Vietnam War (Kháng Chiến Chống Mỹ), commonly known as the “American War”.
It was the morning of April 30, 1975, and North Vietnamese tanks were thundering towards their last military target: Saigon. Those tanks were an indication that the war in Vietnam was at long last over, imprints the fall of Saigon government, as the end the Vietnam War and the freedom of Vietnam’s southern part.
Today it is one of the major Vietnam festivals and events. Therefore, fireworks and cultural-sport activities mark their national reunification.
- Hoan Kiem Lake area organised cultural performances art (Culture and Art), sports; Television Cycling Cup in Ho Chi Minh City in 2016 and 41 years since the liberation of the South, reunification.
- Organisation “On jogging for life: Green – Clean – Beautiful”; Truc Bach Lake has represented fashion programme “Towards excellence Capital 2016”
- Socialization Programme for Culture and Art “street art festival Hanoi culinary past and present”
- Organization of thematic photo exhibition at the Exhibition House 45 Trang Thi Hoa Lo and Monuments
- Cinema organisations serving people from all walks of Human Capital
Ho Chi Minh City
- It will set off fireworks in four venues to celebrate the 41st anniversary of the liberation of South Vietnam’s and national liberation (April 30) and the 130th International May Day (May 1).
- According to VOV5, the shows are scheduled for 9-9:30pm on April 30 at the roof of Saigon river tunnel in district 2, Dam Sen cultural park in district 11, Cu Chi and Can Gio districts. As part of celebrations, a photo exhibition will open along Nguyen Hue, Dong Khoi streets and Labour Culture Palace in district 1 from April 25.
- On the event, the civil Labor Federation will dispatch the Workers’ Month to honour exceptional specialists and present endowments to those living in need.
- Music performances, the 28th HCM City TV Cup bicycle race and other sports tournaments are also scheduled for April 30.
- On April 29 morning, officials of the municipal administration and the municipal Vietnam Fatherland Front committee are due to pay tribute to fallen martyrs in cemeteries. The race will depart from Hanoi on 10/4 and ends at noon HCMC on 30/04/2016. The tournament this year has followed the familiar route from north to south with the slogan “Non sông liền một dải” (“Landmark was a stretch”).
DA NANG City
- From 29/4 to 5/5 days is the week launch cruise season with main activities centred in “Bien Dong” park
- Demonstration sports at sea; coastal festival with competitions basket boat, carrying fishnets, underwater tug of Danang fishermen.
- Along with racing kayak on My Khe Beach; dance sports programme; bikini flash mob demonstration for visitors to join right on the beach downtown; colouring contest on paper with the theme “Together protect langurs shanked and respond in a civilised urban culture”.
During this 2-day vacation, big cities will be very quiet and calm because many people will have gone back to the countrysides to appreciate the day with their darling family. Before occupants’ door, there are Vietnam’s national banners gladly waving noticeable all around. On TV, related remembrance projects or music indicates performing successful melodies about the Vietnam War are shown.
Despite the effect of Agent Orange that still haunts the people living in this sacred land, Vietnam has moved forward to make remarkable achievements while still proudly honouring their long and brave history.
Last modified: May 2, 2016